Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Opening Door


How do you feel about a new year? In the past we have found ourselves feeling already let down, already falling short of what a new year could hold. Or, we have been entirely idealistic thinking "this will be the year that we get it ALL together" and by the 2nd week of January things aren't going the way we wanted them to. But this year is different. This year seems pregnant with hope, not because it will be without its trials, not because it will erase the past, not because we are going to be entirely faithful in our resolutions, but because we prayed a prayer together today that invited Jesus to be the first foot in our home.
In Scotland and parts of England, the new year is given a special importance. People go around from house to house blessing each other in the coming year and sharing fellowship. But the greatest importance is put on the first person who steps through your door, and there is a great belief that the first honored guest will have the power to set the tone for the entire year ahead. And so, there is a Celtic prayer called "The Opening Door" or the open door prayer, where we have the chance to ask the Lord to be that first most honored guest, to be the one who will set the tone for the year ahead.
As Jeremy and I prayed this audibly today together, I could feel the tears welling in my eyes because I know full well that all blessing and goodness that will flood our lives this year will be by inviting the presence of the Lord into them, to not only be our most honored and first foot through the door, but to daily take up residence in us, and that, dear ones is supernatural.

The Opening Door

This day is a new day
that has never been before.
This year is a new year,
the opening door.

(physically open the door to your home)

Enter, Lord Christ -
we have joy in Your coming.
You have given us life;
and we welcome Your coming.

I turn now to face You,
I lift up my eyes.
Be blessing my face, Lord;
be blessing my eyes.
May all my eye looks on
be blessed and be bright,
my neighbours, my loved ones
be blessed in Your sight.

You have given us life
and we welcome Your coming.
Be with us, Lord,
we have joy, we have joy.
This year is a new year,
the opening door.
Be with us, Lord,
we have joy, we have joy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol, Genny, Lucy, and Oliver said...

POWER! that is what i experienced listening to that prayer. I pray that with you and am excited to see how through our trials, tribulations, and moments of happiness the Lord will bring our families JOY JOY! love you guys.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Hi Ashley and Jeremy! I found you when after visiting the Mashes blog and taking the link to the Chastain's blog. Anyway, I wanted to say "hi!" You do incredible work. I am so impressed. I've just started learning photography in the last year, and am really enjoying it! So fun to see your family. :)

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home